An Exemption from real estate taxes shall be allowed
for the first $20,000 of assessed value.
All new applicants must file between July 1st and December 1st
Application may be made at your County Assessor’s Office. Applicant’s eligibility will be approved upon meeting the following requirements:
- The applicant must have the initial Social Security Awards Letter approving the disability or a doctor's signature, on a form provided by the Assessor's Office, to state that the applicant is permanently and totally disabled.
- Applicant must be an owner and occupant of the property. Applicant’s name must be on the Deed and the property must be their primary residence.
- Applicant must show proof of legal residency in West Virginia and property tax payment for two consecutive years preceding the relevant tax year.
- Applicants must not receive a similar exemption in another state or county.
- If an applicant owns and occupies a mobile home, he or she may qualify for the Exemption on the mobile home even if it is personal property (someone else owns the land on which it sits).
- The Constitution of West Virginia, Article 10, Section 1B, Subsection C states that only one exemption shall be allowed per married couple, regardless of the number of owners residing therein, or regardless of the number of residences owned.
- Once an application has been made for Disability, the exemption will automatically roll over each year, provided the home remains their residence. The only reason an applicant would need to reapply would be if he or she should move from that residence to another within the County.